Re: cvs import version numbers

Micha Feigin wrote:
On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 00:07, Michael Kahle wrote:

I just installed CVS on my Debian box.  I want to import a source tree of a
project I have been working on into it.  I was able to do this, but it was
imported with the version number of 1.1.1.1.  I would like to start over now
and somehow re-import in with the version number of 0.1.  Could someone
explain to me how I am supposed to do this?

I found documentation in /usr/share/doc/cvs/html-info/cvs.html and read the
section on adding and removing files and directories.  But what I want to do
is pretend it never happened and get rid of everything and start over
imported with the version number of my choice.

I don't know about version numbers of you choice. Notice that the
version number isn't supposed to be the actual current version number of
the project. You usually mark that with the tags on the tree.
I think rcs had some power over that but it will be somewhat difficult
to work around cvs in this case.
One trick to import new projects with a two digit version number (i.e
1.1 instead of 1.1.1.1) is to first check out the root of the cvs tree
(the / branch) and then add the your new projects directory into the
resulting directory with cvs add.
You can later add the files in cvs as scpecified and re-checkout just
you project.
What I also used to do was add the directory manually inside the cvs
tree.

The bottom line is that the version numbers that cvs assigns to the
individual files should not concern the developer.  Even if everything
is imported with a version of 0.1, as soon as you make a change the
version gets bumped to 0.2, 0.3, and so on.  Version 1.1.1.1 is also
a special case for newly imported sources, as soon as you make a change
the version number of the file gets bumped to 1.2.

A great reference for CVS is the book "Open Source Development with CVS"
available here:

http://mssls7.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/sw/help/cvs/

I think it is also available in the Debian archives via apt-get.

-Roberto