dpkg needing to allocate 700MB of memory?

Hi all. I hope you can give me a clue about this:

I got stuck trying to upgrade a package with apt, and then trying to do
it with the downloaded package, with dpkg:

/usr/bin/dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/wajig_1.0.2-1_all.deb
(Reading database ... dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/wajig_1.0.2-1_all.deb (--install):
 malloc failed (774715603 bytes): Cannot allocate memory
 /var/cache/apt/archives/wajig_1.0.2-1_all.deb
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.

It doesn't matter the package, it's always the same size in bytes than
can't be allocated. It's weird, 'cause it's a lot of memory, and I don't
think it actually needs it... but where's the problem?

I even tried downloading 1.10.18 (.17 was on my system, an unstable one,
BTW), unpacking it and installing it "by hand", but the result was the
same. Yeah, nasty thing to do.. but I'm freaking out, you know? ;-)

Is anybody else going through this? I didn't find any bugreports nor
be something b0rked on my disk after today's local power outage...  :-(

Greetings,

--
Cristian Gutierrez			http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~crgutier
crgutier[@]dcc.uchile.cl                        Jabber:crgutier@jabber.org

Genetics: If your parents didn't have any children, neither will you.