Re: way-OT: regularity of german v. english [was: Re: OT - Programming Languages w/o English Syntax]

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:20:36PM -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> the distinction that's being missed here is that people don't code in
> english, people use english words as symbols in their code.  there's a
> huge difference.

Random webpage I have open...
GtkTreeStore* gtk_tree_store_new            (gint n_columns,
                                             ...);

there is some language content here, some internal linguistic structure.
If they were purely logical constructs we'd be as likely to see:

BrownBear* gtk_brownbear_drip (fishnet stars);

as

y=f(x)
w=u(t)

both convey the same meaning to us.  There's a bit more going on there.