Re: Debian to English translation

----- Original Message -----
From: "JG" <j2003gi@yahoo.es>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 12:06
Subject: Re: Debian to English translation

> Hi,
>
> "Hoyt Bailey" <hoyt13@wiredok.com> writes:
>
> > I just read the abp-get manpage and cannot understand some references.
> > The manpage for each option gives a useage such as APT: :GET: :PURG
> >

> Each option has two "names" (simplifying). The first name is the one you
> would give in the command line (if you want to use that option), whereas
> the second (the APT:Get...) is the one that you would write in the
> configuration file (/etc/apt.conf) if you want to make it permanent. For
> exapmle:
>
>        --download-only
>               Download only; package files are only retrieved,  not
unpacked
>               or installed.  Configuration Item: APT::Get::Download-Only.
>

> So, if you want to download  kdm, without actually installing it, you
> would say:
>
> $ apt-get install --download-only kdm
>
> If you want to make that option permanent (you want to never install
> packages by default, only download them) you would add a line
>
> APT::Get::Download-Only
>
> to the file /etc/apt.conf
>
> > Lets say I want to purge kdm.  Can someone give a proper command line to
use
> > that would be applicable to all options.
>
> $ apt-get remove --purge kdm
>
> But, I would advise you to use some front-end to apt, instead of the
> apt-get command line. Specially while you are learning. Several of them
> exist e.g.: dselect (the default one, works in console or x-term),
>        aptitude (also works in the console, it has more features than
>                 dselect)
>        synaptic (graphical front-end)
>
> And some more.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Jaume
>
> --
> Please answer to the group/list. Don't CC me.

OK.  I still dont understand. What I understand you to be saying is that the
usage info is incorrect, unless there is something I dont know(a lot it
appears). The usage should be :APT: :GET: :OPTION: :--PURGE: :<filename>. Or
APT: :GET: :OPTION: :--download-only: :<filename>.  This dosent make much
sense unless there are other applications for APT like :APT: :PUT: :OPTION:
:--PURGE: :<filename>(not logical for example only).  The OPTION in the two
cases you mention would be install or remove & perhaps others. Is the third
item (as written) always introduced with --.

This is why I have such difficulty with linux the documentation is so
clearly written.  But debian is better than most
Regards,
Hoyt