Re: Debian to English translation

Hi,

"Hoyt Bailey" <hoyt13@wiredok.com> writes:

> I just read the abp-get manpage and cannot understand some references.
> The manpage for each option gives a useage such as APT: :GET: :PURG

Each option has two "names" (simplifying). The first name is the one you
would give in the command line (if you want to use that option), whereas
the second (the APT:Get...) is the one that you would write in the
configuration file (/etc/apt.conf) if you want to make it permanent. For
exapmle:

       --download-only
              Download only; package files are only retrieved,  not  unpacked
              or installed.  Configuration Item: APT::Get::Download-Only.

So, if you want to download  kdm, without actually installing it, you
would say:

$ apt-get install --download-only kdm

If you want to make that option permanent (you want to never install
packages by default, only download them) you would add a line

APT::Get::Download-Only

to the file /etc/apt.conf

> Lets say I want to purge kdm.  Can someone give a proper command line to use
> that would be applicable to all options.

$ apt-get remove --purge kdm

But, I would advise you to use some front-end to apt, instead of the
apt-get command line. Specially while you are learning. Several of them
exist e.g.: dselect (the default one, works in console or x-term),
       aptitude (also works in the console, it has more features than
                dselect)
       synaptic (graphical front-end)

And some more.

Hope this helps,

Jaume

--
Please answer to the group/list. Don't CC me.