phonetic symbols

First of all thanks to kmark+debian@pipeline.com. The fonts used in Windows
were these: 1) WP Phonetic 2) SymbolProp B, also called WP Multinational
Roman. 3) Times New Roman. 4) WP Greek Helve and 5) Century Gothic.
I have Debian Knoppix, the latest version. I think the file in Debian that
converted the Windows file  is in MS word. I have told a friend who knows
more than me about it and we are going to try if "<snip>Sounds like you need
to convert from one font to another. so /schwa/ ->chr(some-number), a->a,A->,
etc. sounds like a task for sed or perl ormaybe tr?-kev" works.
Secondly thanks to Johann Spies <jspies@sun.ac.za>. I can't convert the
Windows file into pdf in Windows because I don't have the Acrobat Reader
program; In Linux the pdf is free but in Windows it cost 600 euros.
Thirdly thanks to Antonio Rodr <arodriguez31@cfl.rr.com>. The pdf would not be
the solution anyway because I need to print some pages de of the file in
Debian.Johann Spies is right there in his other later e-mail. I have
downloaded the tippa fonts but in Debian Knoppix, the latest version, they
appear as LatEx, not as Tippa, although I think that they are the same. The
funny thing is that a few weeks before I installed another version of Debian
Knoppix, an earlier one, which I uninstalled later because it gave me
problems. That previous version converted some of these phonetic symbols: the
symbol for th in three and the symbol for u in cut but this later version
doesn't. How strange!
All these phonetic symbols appear when I use them in a new Debian Knoppix
file. The problem is that that old file comes from Windows 2000. However I am
sure that if Debian Knoppix has these symbols there should be a way to
convert the Windows file into the Linux file properly.
 Finally thanks to Dave Howorth <dhoworth@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk who siad: If you
can make a new document containing the symbols (YES, I CAN), then the problem
most probably is that your imported document is using another font that is
not installed on your system (YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT).  There are two ways to
fix that.First to try is to select all the text in your document and change
it to the font that you just proved works.  That's an easy fix if it works
(IT DOESN'T WORK).If that doesn't work, you need to import the Windows font
that your document is using (I HAVE THE WINDOWS FONTS ON MY COMPUTER IN A
DIFFERENT DISK). That's more difficult, but it's been discussed before, so
search the archive as a first step (try truetype as a keyword).
I am no programmer but I hope that with all your help we will be able to sort
it out. I will keek informed about the results and how everything progresses.
Thanks again to all of you because I feel that I am not alone.