Re: reiserfs

At 27 Oct 2003 10:31:01 -0500,
Vivek Kumar wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I was trying to mount my removable hdd as reiserfs filesystem. It gave
> me following error. What should I do ??
> THE VERSION I CHECKED IS 2.2.20.
> KINDLY HELP..
>
> Vivek
>
> mount -t reiserfs /dev/hdd1 /prod1
> mount: fs type reiserfs not supported by kernel

Looks like your kernel does not have reiserfs support compiled into
it.  You will need to recompile your kernel, and make sure that in the
filesystem section of the configuration you select support for
reiserfs.

There is a debian way to compile the kernel, which sounds very good,
but I have never used it, I just followed the instructions in the
HOWTO,

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO/index.html

It tends to be rpm based, but just look for the sources you need:

apt-cache search kernel-sources |grep -i '2\.2\.20'
might get the package name, but as I stuck working in windows at the
moment, can't be sure.

Once you have the name of the kernel-source package you want:

aptitude install <name-of-package>

That should put it in /usr/src

And that should be all you need unless you have some patches you need
to apply for other things, but if it is only reiserfs you want you
should be away to the races.

Btw. I have spent a fair amount of time compiling kernels, and if you
follow the instructions it is very straightforward.  The nice thing
about it is that you can have a kernel configured specifically for
your hardware needs, and nothing else, and your system will speed up
dramatically.

Good luck, and please straighten me out on anything that is incorrect
anyone else on the list.

rohan