Re: Migrated to debian; aliases stopped working

> BTW I use exim and exim.conf contains the following lines about aliases
>
> # This director handles aliasing using a traditional /etc/aliases file.
> # If any of your aliases expand to pipes or files, you will need to set
> # up a user and a group for these deliveries to run under. You can do
> # this by uncommenting the "user" option below (changing the user name
> # as appropriate) and adding a "group" option if necessary.
>
> system_aliases:
> driver = aliasfile
> file_transport = address_file
> pipe_transport = address_pipe
> file = /etc/aliases
> search_type = lsearch
> # user = list
> # Uncomment the above line if you are running smartlist
>
> Don't know if it's similar for sendmail or postfix.

In RedHat/sendmail, the syntax is a little different. Here it is for
the alias for a single address and an alias for a list of addreses

   alias:	   <address>
   alias:	   :include:/<path>/<listofaddresses>

I assume that in your complicated example, the word "aliasfile" is the
alias for a distribution list having the name "aliases."

In debian/postfix, the syntax found in my /etc/aliases is much
simpler. In /etc/aliases, I use the same syntax as with RedHat
sendmail, only build the database with the # postalias /etc/aliases
rather than # newaliases command. However, since my aliases don't
work, I'm not sure.

Haines Brown