Re: Migrated to debian; aliases stopped working

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 11:21:07AM +0100, David Jardine wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 08:30:12PM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> > When I moved to debian, my aliases are no longer working. For example,
> > in /etc/aliases I have the following entry:
> >
> >    debian:	debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >
> > However, when I try to send a message to debian, it sends a
> > message to debian@teufel.hartford-hwp.com, which is my FQDN attached
> > to the alias name. That is, the alias db is not being used. I ran
> > both # newaliases (which I did under RedHat/sendmal) and I ran #
> > postfix /etc/aliases (I'm now using postfix under debian).
> >
> > I'm not sure, but is the first command associated only with sendmail,
> > and I should now use the second only? In any case, the /etc/alias.db
> > that builds is not being used when I send messages.
>
> I'm using mutt and have aliases in /etc/Muttrc, eg
>
> alias debian debian-user@lists.debian.org

Yeah, but that's a different thing. Mutt aliases apply only when you
write mail with mutt but /etc/aliases apply to all mail transport on
your system.

E. g. the line
root: joachim
says that all mail to root is sent to my normal account (mainly messages
from daemons which obviously don't write their mails with mutt).

BTW I use exim and exim.conf contains the following lines about aliases

# This director handles aliasing using a traditional /etc/aliases file.
# If any of your aliases expand to pipes or files, you will need to set
# up a user and a group for these deliveries to run under. You can do
# this by uncommenting the "user" option below (changing the user name
# as appropriate) and adding a "group" option if necessary.

system_aliases:
driver = aliasfile
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe
file = /etc/aliases
search_type = lsearch
# user = list
# Uncomment the above line if you are running smartlist

Don't know if it's similar for sendmail or postfix.

Regards
--
Joachim Fahnenmüller

# Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
# your ~/.signature to help me spread!