Re: phonetic symbols

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, L.F. wrote:

> I have changed from Windows 2000 to Linux because of the viruses.
Good move.
 Iam
> very happy now because Linux is much safer and much more stable.However, I
> have a problem: I have a file with words in English with the phonetic
> transcription
Is the file in MS word, ascii, rtf? Or a special app?
 but Openoffice or KWord of Debian-Linux doesn't convert some of
> the symbols:the schwa, the symbol for sh in ship, the symbol for ch in chair,
> the symbol for j in John, the symbol for s in television, the symbol for s
> in treasure, the symbol for th in three, the symbol for u in cut.
OK. so the font must not be available. It can be read by OO or kword WITH
the exeption of the special symbols?
> have downloaded the tippa fonts and all  the others from Debian and they are
> available in my computer. Could somebody help me to solve this problem?
> Thanks in advance.

<snip>
Sounds like you need to convert from one font to another. so /schwa/ ->
chr(some-number), a->a,A->, etc. sounds like a task for sed or perl or
maybe tr?
-kev