Re: phonetic symbols

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 08:52:39PM +0200, L.F. wrote:
> I have changed from Windows 2000 to Linux because of the
> viruses. Iam very happy now because Linux is much safer and much
> more stable.However, I have a problem: I have a file with words in
> English with the phonetic transcription but Openoffice or KWord of
> Debian-Linux doesn't convert some of the symbols:the schwa, the
> symbol for sh in ship, the symbol for ch in chair, the symbol for j
> in John, the symbol for s in television, the symbol for s in
> treasure, the symbol for th in three, the symbol for u in cut. I
> have downloaded the tippa fonts and all the others from Debian and
> they are available in my computer.

If you have access to a Windows Machine and if the file is a Word
document, convert the it to pdf-format, you can use it on Linux.  If
you want to create a file with phonetic symbols, I would recommend
that you learn LaTeX and use the Tipa fonts which you have already
installed.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a
      branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast
      them into the fire, and they are burned."
                                             John 15:6