A way two pc game controllers act like one?

Hi all,

Here's a weird question.  I need a way to...multiplex my two usb
controllers so they both act like the same joystick device (ie they're
both seen as js0 at the same time, if that makes sense).  I specifically
want one controller to be able to send events while the other is
invactive (ie not sending events).  When both controllers are active, it
would be fine if the joystick driver could just "merged" events from the
two controllers.  For example, if button 0 was being pressed on one
controller while axis 0 was in the negative position on the other
controller, the joystick driver would just act as if both button 0 and
negative axis 0 were active at the same time on js0.

This is for trying to turn certain single-player games (eg RPGs) into
pseudo-multiplayer games.  A low-tech, equivalent solution is to just
pass the controller to the other player, but this gets annoying after a
while :)  Does anyone know of a way to fooling the linux joystick driver
into making this work?  Besides trying to become a kernel hacker :)

Regards

--
Chris Eisley <chris@cepheus.net>