midentd: problems & questions

So I go to update stuff on my unstable system today, using aptitude, and
I see that midentd has an update.  I find this odd because I don't
remember ever installing it, but okay ... there's a lot of stuff I don't
remember installing. Go.

I get the following:

 midentd
Ack!  Something bad happened while installing packages.  Trying to recover:
Setting up midentd (2.3.1-1) ...
An override for "/var/run/identd" already exists, aborting
dpkg: error processing midentd (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 3
 midentd
Press return to continue.

So I go back into aptitude and discover that nothing I have installed
actually cares about midentd.  I choose to purge.

Same message, except with a reference to purging instead of installing.

Okay.  So then I go to the bug list,

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=midentd

There certainly seem to be some relevant entries, but none of the
outstanding ones are less than 2 years old.  Hrm.

How do I purge this from my system when there's seemingly a bug (or two
or three) in the scripts?

--
monique
Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please