Re: How to recover system,

Am Fre, 2003-10-24 um 16.24 schrieb Vivek Kumar:
> Hi there,
>
> One of my system crashed last night. The mother board is not getting
> power so I had to build another system. I have to hard drive of the the
> old system. If i put the hard drive on other system and start the system
> the it won't work as the system configuration (RAM, CPU AND BOARD are

The kernel doesn't care if you have DDR or EDO ram or which southbridge
you have. I'll boot up anyways. But the kernel will be royally *pissed*
if you have a different CPU as you told him at compile time.

> different). I tried to load the image of old system to new system. IT
> loads the image but when it starts the OS it reboots because the kernel
> and OS Is configured as per old system.
> NOW how can I get the data from old hard drive to the new drive. I need
> the files and utilities from the old drive. Kindly help.

D/L a Debian netinst CD (50-100MB) and boot up the new system with it.
The default kernel on the CD should be compiled for 386 so it'll boot up
*any* CPU. Mount the old drives manually, chroot to the old root (/)
partition and recompile the kernel with a correct CPU setting and
support for you mainboard chipset.

Edit lilo.conf to use the new kernel and run /sbin/lilo.

The new system should now boot with the old drives and a new kernel.

HTH
--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody. Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice