Re: why is debian the only distribution that won't let me run X?

bboett@bboett.dyndns.org (Bruno Boettcher) writes:

>   seems there's no way to get X running under debian on my new Medion
>   laptop....

It'd help if you told us exactly what was wrong; looking at the log
files you sent pointers to, it sounds like "the X server doesn't start".

>   chipset is a GeforceFX from nvidia, Proc P4@2.8GHz
>   the log files are here:
>   http://www.inforezo.org/~bboett/xfree.log
>   http://www.inforezo.org/~bboett/XFree86.0.log
>   http://www.inforezo.org/~bboett/XF86Config-4

Is there a reason you're trying to use the "vesa" driver, as opposed
to the "nv" driver?  You might have a little more luck with the
latter.  (This is the free unaccelerated NVidia driver that comes with
XFree86.)

	-- Abra Mitchell