Re: Debian hardware (HP Proliant), version and backup questions

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 06:10:35PM +0200, Nate Aune wrote:

> 1) Hardware
> Given the previous post about problems with Debian recognizing the disk
> controller on a HP Proliant MC330, I have to ask: can I expect similar
> problems with the DL380?

IIRC the DL380's come with a smar array 5312i.
The bf24 installkernel will not recognize this, since it is a 2.4.18 kernel.
You will need to build your own installkernel image, (or use mine - I can
offer you my floppyimage:)
(this means you'll have to change the linux.bin kernelimage in the
rescue.bin rescuefloppyimage with the kernelimage compiled on your own.

( Attention: Quick and dirty - but effective installation follows:

- downloading floppyset:

wget ftp://ftp.at.debian.org//debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/3.0.23-2002-05-21/images-1.44/bf2.4/*

- downloading a newer kernel-source, e.g. 2.4.22

wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.22.tar.bz2

- configuring a really small kernel, with just the necessary things in it:
	(it has to fit on the floppy)

The SmartArray 5xxx driver is under Block Devices (CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_CISS_DA)
The Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet driver you can find under:

Network device support -->  Ethernet (1000 Mbit)  ---> Broadcom Tigon3 support (CONFIG_TIGON3)

both FIX into the kernel. You might need under Networking Options ---> Socket Filtering, if you want to get you NIC configured by DHCP)

- save config, then 'make dep clean bzImage'

- now you want to change to kernel (the linux.bin file) with your new kernel
in /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/arch/i386/boot/bzImage.

boot with the manipulated floppy.

)

If you need details on that, do not hesitate to ask.

Attention again: AFTER the installation _do_ build another, new,
no-dirty-hack, nice-produktiv kernel, since the installkernel we needed
just to get the installer work, but you do not want to run a productive
system with it. You were warned.

Alternatively you can look for unofficial installfoppysets on the net.

> We are going to have a very short period of time to get the server up and
> running, installed with Zope and all the necessary Python modules (although
> I hear this is very easy with apt-get).

will be no problem

> Given this short time period, I want to make sure we get a server that has
> been proven to work well with Debian.

I am running couple of dl380's with no problem. (OK, HP's RedHat-only
management servicesoftware rpm's are a pain in the neck, but this
is atmo under solution-processing)

> 2) Debian version
> Which version of Debian should I install?  I've heard that the Stable
> version is lagging far behind on many modules, and the Development version
> is actually more stable in some respects.

For a productive box you might want to have stable, and installing the
newer (just the necessary) packages from testing or sid.

> What is the best way to install Debian - by CD-ROM, Net or DVD?

since I offered you floppies to install, I would say Net, in your case.

HTH

charlie

--
Végh Károly -  System Engineer - UTA - TIS.SAS.BSS
Don't worry. Everything is getting nicely out of control.