Re: no network access on new instal

It appears that I actually had the 2.4.18-14 kernel installed in the Debian system. I am assuming this since that was the only version that showed up in the /boot directory (/boot/initrd-2.4.18-14). I copied recursively /lib/modules/2.4.18-14 from my Redhat system into /lib/modules on my Debian system, and I was then able to configure the card using modconf. I don't know why it wasn't in there to begin with; maybe I installed the kernel wrong when I tried installing 2.4.18-k6.

Thanks for all your help.

Allasso

From:
ernobe <ernobe@yahoo.com>
Date:
Wednesday 15 October 2003 10:48:49
To:
allasso@bacavalley.com
no references

 Subject: Re: no network access on new install
 From: ernobe <ernobe@yahoo.com>
 Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:39:08 -0600
 Newsgroup: linux.debian.user

Manually running ifup eth0 says that eth0 is already configured

 How so?

I am sure it is obvious by now that I know almost nothing about linux,
(I'll refrain from using the "n" word), but I do need help.

How can I determine if the kernel is recognizing my interfaces?

If you've booted into the Debian partition, the startup procedure indicates whether or not it is recognizing your eth0 card. For it to do so you need a module for it installed in your kernel. These are in /lib/modules/....
 So my advice is for you to startup the other operating system and then
check the startup process to see what ethernet card is being detected. You can then use this information to determine the module you'll need. If you find that it boots into your display and doesn't give you a chance to see the startup process, you need to edit your /etc/inittab file so that you edit out the line that sets the initial runlevel to 2 ( just comment it out -- this is in Debian, I don't know about RedHat ) Then when it boots you
 can go back to check the process by using shift+PageUp.   Once you've
 determined what card you have, boot back into Debian with your machine
disconnected from the net ( just unplug it from the modem ) Then, supposing you have the standard program modconf, run it and check under net modules to see if you recognize any name similar to the one you've seen in the boot of the other operating system. Click on it, and it will ask if you want to install it, say yes, and then you should be connected. To test it enter /sbin/ifconfig eth0 at an X-term prompt, and see if it detects your card. If it does and you know your IP and netmask you can enter them like this /sbin/ifconfig eth0 (your IP) netmask (your netmask) Your gateway is like this: route add default gw (your gateway) And the /etc/resolv.conf file
 has your name server, like this
 search
 nameserver (your nameserver)
 A sample /etc/network/interfaces file can be found in the manpage for
 interfaces, copy it with your info, then reboot.

 --
 http://www.costarricense.cr/pagina/ernobe