From: Rob Weir [mailto:rweir@ertius.org]
Sent: Thursday, 23 October 2003 5:14 PM
To: Jason Binder
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Mail setup for new user in Debian

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 09:01:14AM +1000, Jason Binder said
> Hi userlist,
>
> First time here and even unsure if this is a mailing list so my
> apologies to all.
>
> We have just recently taken over a clients computer support that has a

> debian unix box running squid and mail.
>
> My problem is this; I dont know unix that well and unsure how the mail

> setup works.
>
> It looks as if they use fetchmail and

Ok.  fetchmail is a program which downloads mail via POP or IMAP from a
remote mail server and then distributes it to your local users.

> They have a new user being added to the network and I am trying to
> create a mailbox that works.
>
> So far I can done this;
>
> Create the user by using 'adduser' command (no parameters used)

This depends on how the mail system is setup.  In the simplest (and
default) setups, this will work.  However, other setups may be
configured completely differently.

You can test this fairly simply:

1) add a new user with "adduser".

2) run "tail -f /var/log/mail.log" in a terminal.  This will "tail" the
   mail log, showing you things as they happen.

3) run 'mail -s "this is a test email" username_you_just_created',
   without the ' quotes, but with the " ones.

You should see a line scroll by which mentions the user you just added.
If things don't just work then, sending the list that line (and a few up
and down) would be quite handy.

> Modify aliases file and run newaliases to compile to database file.
> reboot unix to restart processes

You won't ever need to reboot this machine for such a minor
configuration change.

> configured Windows XP client (outlook) to talk to the unix box. can
> receive internal mail aok and outbound works. Inbound comes up with a
> bounce of unknown user.

Hm, that sounds strange.  Is the remote box that actually receives mail
(the one fetchmail is talking to) accepting mail for your new address?

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I
want a CC? Words of the day:  USCOI investigation arrangements ISEC

---