resize swap partition `in situ`, using parted

In an attempt to redistribute disk space I'm trying to
shrink the size of my swap space.

Qtparted refuses to do the job as it's in use and the
version on my Knoppix CD doesn't appear to work. The
parted boot disk is currently unavailable from the GNU
website, so my only option at the moment appears to be
using parted on the fly. *However* parted warns me
that the partition is in use and modification could
cause severe corruption. Can I ignore this warning?
(running version 1.6.6-1 on sid).

As an aside, parted uses MB while fdisk uses
cylinders. How do I convert between the two?

Thanks!

=====
Simon Tod
todsr1@yahoo.co.uk