RE: how to figure out the gateway number?

Hmm...
Figuring out the gateway...
It depends on how desperate you are, really.

I fired up ettercap, put it in passive OS identification mode, and then
ran an 'nmap -sP' scan on my subnet.
Ettercap picked up the traffic and correctly identified 2 of the 3
gateways on my subnet (labeling them with 'GW').

-Jason