Re: how to set up a mix from stable/testing/etc

Christian Schnobrich <schnobs@babylon-kino.de> writes:

> Woody's spamassassin (2.20) provides me with a hit rate of about 60%;
> partly to increase this, partly because I'm curious about that fancy
> Bayes filter, I'd like to have a more recent spamassassin.
>
> But how?
> I'm a little shy of installing tarballs -- I'm afraid this would give me
> trouble when eventually I want to install the .deb package.

If all you want is a single package, installing from source isn't a
bad way to go.  You can install in $HOME or /usr/local and the Debian
packaging system will stay away.

> Leaves me with getting it from testing; I regularly see posts on this
> list where people claim to have a mixed setup from stable / testing /
> unstable, but I found no clue on how I could do this myself.
>
> Could someone please provide me with a few keywords for a google search,
> or point me directly to the appropriate documentation?

Google for 'apt pinning'.  The old-fashioned way is to put a testing
(or unstable) source in /etc/apt/sources.list, run 'apt-get update',
'apt-get install spamassassin', and then take the testing source out,
but then you don't track updates.

The other thing to be aware of doing this is that you'll get more than
just spamassassin.  Of note, unstable's spamassassin (2.60-1) depends
on spamc (>= 2.30), and spamc depends on libc6 (>= 2.3.2-1), so you
wind up pulling in the unstable libc6.  (You do at least avoid the
unstable perl.)  Sometimes this can cascade uncomfortably, leaving you
with a mostly-unstable system with a couple of stable packages
floating around.  YMMV.

	-- Abra Mitchell