Re: Setting hostname with DHCP

Dear List and Vineet,

I began:

Vineet wrote (full comment below):
> ....my dhcp client tells the dhcp server that its hostname
> is "wingnut", instead of somehow asking the dhcp server
> for a hostname.  This way, if the dhcp server is set up to
> do so, I get a dns record set up for wingnut.  Unless the
> dhcp server is configured to assign certain addresses to
> certain hostnames and it doesn't know anything about
> wingnut this works just fine.  This way my hostname is
> always wingnut; it doesn't change depending on the whims
> of a particular site's (potentially whack) dhcp server.

Thank you, Vineet, for the response.  I do indeed want the
opposite of the behavior that you have, i.e., I want the
dhcp server to send my computer the hostname.  I also want
like to have domain set properly by dhclient.

The main reason is that I frequently ssh or scp to the
machine and it's easiest if I can see the hostname in front
of me.  The server won't let me choose hostname via "send
host-name" and I am happy to live with the assigned names,
which are reasonable on my campus, e.g.,
buildingname-arbitrarynumber.dhcp.myschool.edu But once this
is the assigned name, I would prefer to have it everywhere
on the computer, i.e., in /etc/hostname, as the response to
"hostname --fqdn", etc., etc.

Also I cannot get dhclient to set the domain.

The other response from the list was:
> The dhclient script is broken; it doesn't do the hostname
> properly.  It is probably fixable, but that script is a
> big mess.

Thanks--it is good to know that I am not alone with this
problem.  I fiddled around with dhclient-exit-hooks, which I
could get to run when I ran dhclient from the command line
but not on bootup.

I guess I consider this whole thing a pretty serious problem
(the domain setting more important than the hostname, which
I can live with).  I want my computer to know its domain.

Is there a fix?

Should I move to a different DHCP-client program?

Can you recommend one?  Is there a program called "pump"?

Best,

M.A.

P.S. Not to generate invidious comparison, but on one of my
other Linux boxes, made by some company in the Carolinas, I
plug the box into the campus network, flip on the computer,
walk away, and return to find it with hostname, domain name,
etc.

Vineet's full comment: