Re: Setting hostname with DHCP

Michael Ash wrote:
> The other response from the list was:
> > The dhclient script is broken; it doesn't do the hostname
> > properly.  It is probably fixable, but that script is a
> > big mess.
>
> Should I move to a different DHCP-client program?
>
> Can you recommend one?  Is there a program called "pump"?

Your message indicated that you were using dhcp-client.  Let me
recommend dhcp3-client instead.

  apt-get install dhcp3-client

Then when you are satisified with your configuration you can clean up
the old one.

  dpkg --purge dhcp-client

  http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP/

I don't know why the maintainer split the package for version three.
Does anyone know?  It is unfortunate.  I would like to see dhcp-client
converted to dhcp2-client for those people that require the older one
and dhcp be a meta package which always depends upon the newer
version, similar to 'gcc' and other packages.

[Drift: I have not checked.  Which dhcp client is the new d-i
installing by default?  I sure hope it is dhcp v3 and not dhcp v2!]

Bob