Re: A newbie's confusion about GPL

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:11:09PM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Bijan Soleymani wrote:

> >>Emacs has a client/server feature, so you get quick start-up of
> >>additional clients once you have the server running.  Using vim myself
> >>these days.
> >

> >Yes this is very true. Oddly enough as much as I love emacs, I can't get
> >used to gnus or any of the other mail packages. Every time I try
> >something goes wrong. So I use mutt running inside emacs (M-x term) and
> >use EDITOR=emacsclient. So that whenever mutt calls up the editor it
> >switches me to a new emacs buffer where I can type up my message (I also
> >have it set up so that the new buffer is in mail mode).
> >
> >Bijan
>
> OK.  I never use emacs, so this may sound like a dumb question.  You
> can run mutt *inside* of emacs?  How?

Emacs includes a terminal emulator like xterm. It also includes a
program called emacsclient. If you use emacsclient as a regular editor
(e.g. emacsclient file.txt) it simply opens that file in your already
running copy of emacs.

> Why not just run it in a regular xterm?

2 reasons:

1st. Let's say someone asks me a question about a program, and I want to
quote a part of a manpage. In emacs I can do M-x man and cut and paste
with the keyboard without using the mouse. Same thing for cut and paste
from other buffers, etc. I know that within vi I can suspend vi get the
required text into a file and then do :r filename to read it in, but it
is not as easy.

2nd. emacs takes a while to start up, but once it's started up you can
edit as many files as you want in different windows and split each
window, etc., therefore people prefer not to run several copies of emacs
at the same time.

> Besides, I thought emacs was a text editor (hence the emacs/vi flame
> wars).

Emacs is and isn't an editor:

It is an editor because it edits straight ascii text (and international
characters too, but you know what I mean).

It isn't an editor because it incorporates lots of weird functionality,
like mail programs, a terminal emulator, a programmable calculator, etc.

The people who like vi tend to bash emacs because they think it is too
complicated and bloated.

I on the other hand like emacs because it's easy to customize.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>
http://www.crasseux.com