Re: Is testing somewhat stable again>

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:11:39AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:27:36AM -0400, hashi@pooq.com wrote:
> > I heard that sarge was going through convulsions because changes
> > in the C implementation, were making its packages incompatible.
>
> That was ages ago, and it was C++, not C. The C++ transition is gradual
> and isn't really something you should have to worry about in testing.
> About the only exception might be packages like mozilla whose plugins
> need to be compiled with the same version of g++ as mozilla itself.
>
> >  Has this process finished yet?  Is sarge now as stable as it usually is?
> > Is it safe to upgrade?
>
> As always, you should see what your package manager proposes to do.
>
> > (I need a new X for my Radeon card
>
> Doesn't that require XFree86 4.3? That isn't in testing (or unstable)
> yet.

No.  I see it's in experimental.  I suspect that stable -> experimental
may be too big a jump to do all at once.  Might be rough on reliability.

It's a Radeon 8500-DV.  I found a message a few days ago that hinted
that 4.2.1 might be what I need.  Of course, it wasn't very definitive
-- it was more like an aside in another discussion.

Right now I have *no* X drivers at all under debian.  Anything would be
an improvement, accelerated or not, even without DV support..

-- hendrik