Re: Sound stutter

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:30:06 -0600,
"Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote in message
<[🔎] slrnbp8kuu.474.spam@home.bounceswoosh.org>:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 at 20:48 GMT, Michael Bona penned:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > one things really bugs me about my Linux box: Playing MP3s or Oggs
> > is frequently interrupted for a split second when there is a little
> > more than the usual disk activity. Say I open one programme and
> > close another at the same time. For the duration of that disk
> > activity, sound stutters.
> >
> > Considering that an old system like Winnt4 (on a slower system)
> > could handle my way of working there must be a way out ...
> >
> > I am running Woody / KDE 3.1.3 with aRts on a Duron 800  with 258 MB
> > of RAM.  I have tried several players, notably noatun and kaboodle.
> > Soundserver runs with realtime priority (setting in KDE control
> > center).
> >
> > Any advice?
> >
> > Thanks!  Michael
> >

> IIRC, xmms offers a variety of choices for buffering the file ... if
> you really, really want to make sure you don't get stutters, you can
> pre-buffer the whole thing.

..fwiw, I run xmms off an Irish(?) mp3 feed with the default buffering
etc settings to check my wifi link, taking the occational stutter as
hints to check out my client nets.   ;-)

..top reports xmms use .5% of my amd k6-2 450 and
2% of its 384MB ram, with an es1371.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: