Re: Sound stutter

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 at 20:48 GMT, Michael Bona penned:
> Hi all,
>
> one things really bugs me about my Linux box: Playing MP3s or Oggs is
> frequently interrupted for a split second when there is a little more
> than the usual disk activity. Say I open one programme and close
> another at the same time. For the duration of that disk activity,
> sound stutters.
>
> Considering that an old system like Winnt4 (on a slower system) could
> handle my way of working there must be a way out ...
>
> I am running Woody / KDE 3.1.3 with aRts on a Duron 800  with 258 MB
> of RAM.  I have tried several players, notably noatun and kaboodle.
> Soundserver runs with realtime priority (setting in KDE control
> center).
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks!  Michael

IIRC, xmms offers a variety of choices for buffering the file ... if you
really, really want to make sure you don't get stutters, you can
pre-buffer the whole thing.

--
monique
Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please