Re: mouse

Marlin Unruh wrote:

Hi,

I just installed debian 3.0r1 and the mouse will not work. I have a serial
track ball with a PS/2 adapter, and have it plugged into the PS/2 port. The
track ball is a Kensington Expert Mouse.

Do I need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file? If so what should I try for
the settings?

Device:
Protocol:

Is there a utility that would help configure the mouse.

How do you open the menu without the mouse working, with hot keys?

First, decide if you want the mouse to work in both X (the GUI system) and in the text-only (VT - Virtual Terminal) console, or if you just want it in X.

If both:
   install/configure gpm
      device=/dev/psaux
      protocol= probably ps2, but you may need to experiment
      repeat type=raw
   apt-get reconfigure xserver-xfree86
      device=/dev/gpmdata
      protocol=same as what you set above (or see /etc/gpm.conf)

If just X,
   apt-get reconfigure xserver-xfree86
      device=/dev/psaux
      protocol=probably ps2, but you may need to experiment

To get to where you can run these apps, shell out to a VT (Ctrl-Alt-F2 should do it). You'll want to stop your session manager (assuming you have one, like kdm or gdm - /etc/init.d/kdm stop); and restart it after making these changes (/etc/init.d/kdm start).

Now your mouse hopefully works.

--
Kent