Re: Installing my own Apache?

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 09:54:00PM -0400, Joel Konkle-Parker said
> Perhaps I should make this a more general question.
>
> My underlying question involves adding and upgrading new software not
> available in the official distribution. Let's say I want to put the new
> version of an IM client on my Woody system. Do I compile it from source,
> do a `make install` and be done with it? Do I build my own package and
> install it that way?

I'd first look for a newer package on www.apt-get.org, then I'd see how
hard it would be to build a deb of the newer version myself.  If it's
too much hassle, installing into /usr/local is no problem.  Have a look
at "stow", it makes handling stuff in /usr/local/ quite simple.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:                Subversion Leitrim AMEMB kilo class ASO Defcon