Re: nvidia drivers & kernel headers

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:50:17 -0700 (PDT), John Yurcik <jyyc73@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I thought of this after I sent this out, but would
> upgrading to testing resolve this problem? Knoppix 3.3
> will "see" the video card I'm trying to install, and
> Debian stable doesn't.

In this case, not at all. This is a kernel and driver issue, not
anything that would require upgrading your system (including XFree, gcc
and any assorted libraries.)

If Knoppix can get your video card working, then it's very possible to
do this in Debian. In fact, if Knoppix can do it right out of the box,
it can be done, it's just a matter of doing it.

My suggestion is to just doublecheck what kernel you have installed
(with 'uname -a') and what kernel headers you have symlinked to
/usr/src/linux.

You can also just pass the location of the headers, without them being
in /usr/src/linux, in the NVIDIA installer. I don't remember what the
argument is, but it should be like:

# ./NVIDIA_installer.sh --with-headers /usr/src/kernel-headers-*

whereas adjusted accordingly, (--with-headers might be something
different, not sure of the exact syntax.)

--
scott c. linnenbringer    |  sl@panix.com
http://www.panix.com/~sl  | sl@moslug.org