Re: Bind9 Files for Debian

Brian C wrote:
> I'm trying to read the DNS HOWTO at:
> http://langfeldt.net/DNS-HOWTO/BIND-9/
>
> and am running into some confusion because Debian (woody) seems to name
> some of the files differently than the HOWTO.

Yes, I see that the HOWTO does have different names for things.  And I
see you noted woody.  Let me also say that in sarge the names of
things and organization is yet again slightly different.  Nicer and
improved.  I like the sarge configuration better than the woody
configuration better than this HOWTO configuration.

It is really just a matter of taste as they all work.  An expert would
know what they wanted and do it and that would be fine.  Since you are
asking questions let me suggest you take the default until you know
that you know that you want something different.

> For instance, the HOWTO suggests the following in its example named.conf:
>
> zone "." {
>     type hint;
>     file "root.hints";
> };
>
> zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
>     type master;
>     file "pz/127.0.0";
> };
>
> which would give me a subdirectoy pz with a file called 127.0.0 in it.

Correct.

> Instead Debian's default named.conf has zones for ., localhost, 127, 0, and
> 255. This gives me files db.root, db.local, db.127, db.0, and db.255
> respectively.

Correct.

> I guess my question is: If I want to follow the HOWTO, do I need to
> add a zone for 127.0.0, as is done in the HOWTO example, or is that
> zone already covered by one of the above Debian ones?  And when the
> HOWTO goes on to describe what the file 127.0.0 should contain,

The db.127 file configures the zone which the HOWTO suggests as
127.0.0.  The difference is that the default Debian file covers the
entire localhost 127.0.0.0/8 zone and implements one entry while the
HOWTO version covers a smaller 127.0.0.0/24 zone and implements one
entry.  Since all of 127/8 are loopback addresses that seems better to
me.  But really it is a matter of taste since the result here is the
same regardless of which you do.

More traditional bind configurations usually use names starting with
db.something for the name and so the HOWTO forks from that and does
something different than I would suggest.  Nothing wrong with that.
The filename could be anything.  Don't be confused by a different
filename.

> which of db.local, db.127, db.0, db.255 should be comparably
> changed, if any?

None.  Don't change any of them.  Just install bind9 and by default
you will have a caching nameserver.  Which seems to be what you are
trying to do.  But you seem not to realize that you don't need to do
anything at all to have it just work out of the box.  You must have
previously been a RH user.  :-)

  apt-get install bind9

That is it.  Stop there.  Don't change anything.

If you want to start again then remove, purge, and install again.
Then stop there.

  apt-get remove --purge bind9
  apt-get install bind9

If you are trying to host your own zone or to set up forwarding or to
do any one of a number of other things then you will need more
configuration.  If so then please state what you are trying to do.
Just saying that you are "following the HOWTO" is not sufficient since
the HOWTO lists out a few different possibilities.

> From: brianwcNOSPAM@rurnt.com
> P.S. Please remove NOSPAM from my e-mail address above and cc me!

I did you a favor and put you in the BCC, not CC, list.  But hiding
from spam and viruses just delays the inevitable.  Eventually your
address will be harvested.  Better to install and use antispam tools.
Better to fight spam and virus software at the source of the problem.
But let's not start yet another thread about that here.  For any who
think to try please take that discussion elsewhere.

Bob

P.S. Don't CC me.  I read the lists.  Send followups to the list.