Re: Knoppix-like install of Debian?

Eric Walstad wrote:

Hi All,
I'm a debian newbie that recently tried Knoppix. My "Stable" installation of debian looks pretty old compared to the Knoppix CD I recently tried, at least with KDE and the gui apps. How can I get a similar install of Debian? Do I need to reinstall with Debian "unstable" or "testing?"

I'm not really interested in installing Knoppix, just how to get similar application versions with a Debian installation.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Best regards,

Eric.

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and duplicate your stable lines (except for the security line) _above_ (for priority's sake) those lines. Change the new lines to "unstable" where it currently says "stable" or "woody". (You're leaving the stable lines in so you can get packages that haven't seen any development since stable and therefore aren't in the unstable branch, and you're leaving in the security line to get security patches, which are applied to stable when problems are found but not necessarily incorporated immediately into the unstable packages).

Then "apt-get update", followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade".

(This is assuming you're pulling from the net; otherwise you'll have to get a repository of unstable on CD or on a local drive, etc).

Then you can install most of what's in Knoppix, if it's not already installed/updated by the previous steps, but "apt-get install foo", where "foo" is the package for whatever you want to install, like:
   apt-get install openoffice.org
   apt-get install mozilla mozilla-firebird
   apt-get install xawtv
etc.

--
Kent