Re: How to remove Penquin from Linux (boot screen that is)

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 05:58:30PM -0400, e-bone wrote:
> What an aweful thing to want to do ...
> hee hee ...
>
> but seriously. that penquin (the one you get if you boot into text mode) wrecks havoc on less , and a couple of other console programs.
>
> I've recompiled my kernel several times and cant figure out how to get
> rid of that bugger !

Well that's weird usually typing clear or switching to another virtual
terminal or something like that gets rid of that picture. Hmm oh well.

If you want to get rid of it you'll probably have to recompile your
kernel. Either leave out the framebuffer console (you won't get a
picture on a standard vga text mode console) or you could edit out the
little picture from the kernel source. The picture is in the file:
include/linux/linux_logo.h

Replacing all those numbers with 0x00 should give you a black square.
Alternatively you could edit out the call to the fbcon_show_logo
function and related lines of code in:
drivers/video/fbcon.c

Hope this helps,
Bijan