Re: Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:10:09 +0800, Carl Fink wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 01:54:07PM +0100, brian.huckstep wrote:
>> I have a copy of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1 on CD-Rom 7 discs in fact.
>> Unfortunately my computer bios only provides boot facility from either
>> my "A" or "C" Drives is there any possibility for me to boot up the
>> Debian/Linux Program through MS-DOS operating system. On inspecting the
>> file content of the 1st Debian Installation disc I couldn't find any
>> "Setup.exe" files that would of perhaps made it possible for me to have
>> installed Debian/Linux using my Windows 98se Start-up Disc. If you can
>> offer any help with my predicament, then I shall naturally be pleased
>> to hear from you.
>
> You have to reboot to install Debian, but you can make a boot floppy
> using files on the CD.  In fact, you can find full instructions at the
> official Debian web site, http://www.debian.org.  There's an
> "Installation Manual" link right there on the front page that explains
> everything quite well.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux, and the best of all worlds with
Debian. You have a steep learning curve in front of you.

Linux has the best documentation you could imaghine. Almost all questions
of a newbie can be answered by reading (and re-reading) the documentation
provided. Try as a first stop:

http://www.google.com/linux

The Debian site mentioned above is essential. Before you do anything,
print out that installation manual, and read it twice.

Meanwhile, if you want to rush into things, it sounds as if you need to
enable booting from the CDROM, which you must change in the BIOS. See
what your screen says just after booting, and before you enter the
Windows startup. You may find the command to press F2 for setup or some
such similar. Do that. Look, but do not touch anything, unless you find
the page where you can add in the boot media.

That should get you going, but beware - if you go blind into a Debian
install, it will get confusing. Read that manual closely.

Be happy,

Brian