Re: Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 13:54:07 +0100
"brian.huckstep" <brian.huckstep@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I have a copy of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1 on CD-Rom 7 discs in fact.
> Unfortunately my computer bios only provides boot facility from either
> my "A" or "C" Drives is there any possibility for me to boot up the
> Debian/Linux Program through MS-DOS operating system. On inspecting
> the file content of the 1st Debian Installation disc I couldn't find
> any "Setup.exe" files that would of perhaps made it possible for me to
> have installed Debian/Linux using my Windows 98se Start-up Disc. If
> you can offer any help with my predicament, then I shall naturally be
> pleased to hear from you.
>
> Thanking you
>
> Brian Huckstep

Hello Brian,

We shall have to start at the beginning.
Do you have an extra hard drive in your box?
Because something tells me that that would be the ideal.
When you boot your machine up, as the memory is being counted, 'press d
(delete)' a couple of times. This will pass you through to an interface
that represents your BIOS. Without knowing what type of BIOS you have, I
can't give you specifics about where to go next, unless you have an
award BIOS, in which case, use the arrow keys to take you down to the
second option on the list, and press enter.
No matter which BIOS you have, if you see items like 'HDD0', floppy,
CDRom, etc., you are in the right place. Keep looking until you find
those.

Using the arrow keys again, travel down to 'first boot device', press
enter, employ the arrow keys to select CDRom, hit enter again, and you
will have the option stated there to press F10, or similar, to record
your selection and exit CMOS.

This will allow you to 'boot' from your CDRom instead of your hard
drive, and consequently you will have access to that first of seven
discs, and I think it would be best if you installed onto the
aforementioned spare drive.

Before you even do that, I would go into the mailing list archive of
debian-user, and search for a couple of references I saw in a post
within the last couple of weeks regarding installation, as installing
Debian is a vastly different scenario to Windows.
Regards and good luck,

David.