RE: upgrade error testing powermgmt-base_1.17_i386.deb

Hello:

I found help via libranet's forum:
<http://forum.libranet.com/viewtopic.php?t=2511>

I'm posting this message for others that are having the same problem.

--quote--
Hello:

Before I forget, I'm posting this message to help others who will have this same failure when upgrading Libranet 2.8 and 2.8.1 to the latest testing (Sarge) software via the Internet. Please read on if you are experiencing the same problem:

Source: <http://forum.libranet.com/viewtopic.php?p=11089&highlight=#11089>
[by Tyro]

UPDATE

I contacted Chris Hanson, the maintainer for powermgmt-base and he informed me that it is a problem with module-init-tools, not with powermgmt-base. He directed me towards bug report #212928. As mentioned there, he told me that the unstable version of module-init-tools fixes this problem.

Solution:
1. Download module-init-tools (save it to to /tmp) from here:
<http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/m/module-init-tools/module-init-tools_0.9.15-pre2-2_i386.deb>
2. Become super-user and move into /tmp directory:
"su -"
"cd /tmp"
3. Install module-init-tools:
"dpkg -i module-init-tools_0.9.15-pre2-2_i386.deb"
4. Rerun your apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade command to finish your upgrade to the latest Sarge software.

This will install this package and therefore solve the original problem with powermgmt-base erroring out during the upgrade.

Note, emacs will also cause failure. My solution was to dump the damned Emacs packages. I'll post a seperate message for the Emacs upgrade failures.

I hope this helps. Thanks Tyro!

Wishing you well.
--end quote--

Also note, both the ftp location may change as well as module-init-tools version.  Therefore, use the search feature on debian's site to locate the latest module-init-tools, download and proceed as mentioned above.

Good luck to you!