upgrade error testing powermgmt-base_1.17_i386.deb

Greetings:

I have Sarge installed, but today I did an dist-upgrade and powermgmt-base continues to kill the upgrade.  I have tried doing dist-upgrade -f and still errors out.  I can't remove it since it will wipe out gnome.  Anyone know a way I can make this evil package be nice to me and install, letting the rest of the 800+ packages install?

output:
root@billybox:~# dist-upgrade -f
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  lilo snake4
The following packages will be upgraded
  alsaconf dillo fam fb-music-high frozen-bubble frozen-bubble-data gfontview gtksee itcl3.0 jpilot libavc1394-0 libdc1394-9
  liblircclient0 libsmbclient mgapdesk nmap pia powermgmt-base sawfish sawfish-themes scantv statserial tkdesk tkpaint
  v4l-conf wipe wordinspect x86info xawtv xawtv-plugins xmms-status-plugin xtide xtide-data xtv xvmount xxdiff xzoom yank zip
  zsh
40 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
756 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/22.4MB of archives.
After unpacking 3415kB disk space will be freed.
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 154689 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace powermgmt-base 1.6 (using .../powermgmt-base_1.17_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement powermgmt-base ...
Architecture-specific modutils configuration not found
cat: /etc/modprobe.d//dev/null: No such file or directory
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
cat: /etc/modprobe.d//dev/null: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/powermgmt-base_1.17_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1
cat: /etc/modprobe.d//dev/null: No such file or directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
Preparing to replace sawfish 1:1.3-1 (using .../sawfish_1%3a1.3-5_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement sawfish ...
 /var/cache/apt/archives/powermgmt-base_1.17_i386.deb
root@billybox:~#

TIA.  Wishing you well.

Linux.Net -->Open Source to everyone