Re: More on spam

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:19:58AM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:

| The majority of the 55,000+ SWEN response mails I have sent have gone
| un-noticed. And I have sent that standard message to some individuals
| 50-100 times. And a vast majority are in the "repeat" arena. So it falls
| on deaf ears.

Do you have logs of the addresses you've sent to?  If so, is my
address in there?  How about any other address at my domain[1]?  I've
certainly gotten enough "you sent us swen" notices.  As you can
imagine from my presence in this group, I use debian.  I don't have
swen and I don't send it anywhere other than the bit-bucket.
Certainly some of those forged addresses you've sent notices to could
have been infected.  Certainly some of them could be read by real
users who, somehow, didn't know beforehand what you just told them.
But it is also certain that some of those people are innocent
bystanders getting joe-jobbed.

-D

[1] FYI I'm the only user at my domain, and I only use 1 adddress (and
    sometimes still receive stuff at the obsolete dman@dman.ddts.net
    address, but that is the only valid address at that domain).  That
    means that anything else sent to my domain is junk.  It also means
    that anything you see that appears to be from some other address
    at my domain is a forgery from some malware.

--
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/