Re: More on spam

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 11:56:33AM -0400, Jeff Elkins wrote:
| On Friday 17 October 2003 11:21 am, Paul Johnson wrote:
| >Munging considered harmful.  http://www.interhack.net/pubs/munging-harmful/
|
| OK, I gave it a scan. I don't think it applies to the debian web archives.
| Blanking out the addresses from an easily-scraped web page would break the
| internet how?

Consider "John Doe", a new user of debian who does his homework by
searching the web and the archives for the solution to problems he
encounters before posting to the list.  Now suppose John finds some
information in the archives that seems relevant to his problem, but he
doesn't find all the information he needs about the solution.  Now
suppose the addresses are available, as they are now.  John can
contact the individual directly and ask for clarification on something
or more details or whatever.  If the addresses weren't available John
would be unable to ask the person directly, and if the person is no
longer following list mail then John might not get the support he
needs.

If your email service is unacceptable, complain to your email
provider.  You must create a business case for them to act.  All
commercial providers are in it for the money (aka business) and unless
you are affecting that then they won't care.

-D

not sure about the former.
        Albert Einstein

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/