Re: More on spam

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:46:15AM -0400, Jeff Elkins wrote:
> On Friday 17 October 2003 9:23 am, Colin Watson wrote:
> >If only this were practical for the volume of spam bugs.debian.org gets
> >(2Gb caught by spamassassin in the last two weeks). We just don't have
> >the manpower even to make a dent here. :-(
>
> Colin, what kind of help is needed?

If people were going to do large-scale reporting then we'd probably need
them to be developers, really: they'd need accounts on bugs.debian.org.
However, anyone who reads the debian-bugs-dist and/or debian-bugs-closed
lists is certainly welcome to send complaints on our behalf about the
spam that makes it through our filters that far, which would help.

At the moment we're hoping that deploying something called crossassassin
will help, which quarantines mails for a short period in order to check
for excessive crosspostings. The lists already do this, but crossposting
between bugs is more common than crossposting between mailing lists so
we may have to set the thresholds higher and/or offer some kind of a
hole such as a magic header or GPG signatures to avoid impeding
legitimate activities by developers.

Cheers,