Re: How to manage services?

Colin Watson wrote:
On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 09:43:45PM +0530, Sudeep Mukherjee wrote:

I want to disable some services, e.g., Samba. What is the Debian way
to do it?

If you don't want them, why not uninstall them?

That is of course often the best, except that I'm a pack-rat and think "I'll play with that next week, so why uninstall just to re-download/install."

:)

If for some reason you don't want to do that, I find it best to stop the
service and then simply move the Snnwhatever symlink in /etc/rc2.d/ to a
name that starts with an 's' rather than an 'S' (so, let's say, 'mv
/etc/rc2.d/S20samba /etc/rc2.d/s20samba'). There's update-rc.d too, but
its semantics are a little confusing in connection with upgrades and
it's probably best to leave it for use only by automatic scripts until
you're familiar with it.

I am glad to hear that others consider the symantics and operation of update-rc.d to be less than straight forward for non-package management functions. I keep thinking I ought to write some collection of "Redhat conversion survival" scripts like "service" and "chkconfig" (ntsysv sounds like a canidate as well, though I've never used it).

I keep stopping myself with the though "Some deeper thinking individual or individuals on the Debian project must have already had a reason for not doing things this way, and surely it was a better reason than 'because RH does it.'"

--
Jacob - liking SpamAssassin, but still thinking there has to be a better way to do email; trusted smart relays or something.