Re: recommendations sought for some MS-OS applications

DG wrote:
I'm investigating a switch from MS-OS to *NIX.  I've made a list
of my MS-OS applications and I've found *NIX equivalents for most
of them.  Unfortunately, there are a few for which I have not been able to
find replacements.

Besides using google, which you may be doing already, try searching the debian packages:

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages

Below is the list of MS-OS applications for which I'm still looking for
*NIX equivalents.  If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate your input.

* Ad-aware/Spybot/Pest Patrol (removes spyware cookies and software)

I've not needed such things on Linux (or windows for that matter). I have had to help people who use windows remove this type of software.

Cookies, block them if you don't like them. Delete them occasionally if you don't want to be tracked. Use Mozilla or whatever to prompt you for permission to accept or block the cookie.

Software - don't download "free" but not open software (like file sharing or music software). In Linux I identify sources that I trust and download software from them. If I download software from someone else it is source code that I can browse before deciding to trust it or not. I know this is a paradigm shift from the windows thought of "try anything on cnet/download.com/tucows" but I shun such haphazard installing of software. Too many things want to install Gator or AOL. I will balk out of a web page that requires special plug-ins that say "By installing this software you agree to the following license; You are installing <adware name> bla bla bla..."

* Medved Quote tracker (stock quotes)
* Schwab Velocity (real time stock quotes)
* Fidelity Active Trader Pro (real time stock quotes)

I've read over projects for doing stock quotes. I don't have the list in front of me, google for linux stock quotes. Some real time quotes are done via java applets (which may be an issue in the future) which will run in Linux.

Tell Schwab, Fidelity and Medved that you would like a Linux compatable version, even if that just means it runs well under wine.

* Panasonic USB camera viewer (View Panasonic Digital Camera Pictures)
* Intel Create&Share USB Camera software (Download and view Intel Camera
Pictures)
* VistaScan copy machine utility (uses scanner and printer to create copies)

There is a package called sane for talking to scanners. It or some other programs (gphoto?) can talk to some serial and usb cameras. The cameras probably even appear as USB storage devices to the kernel (I've not tried). Unless the Intel camera is doing it's own protocol, it should work ok. Use gphoto, kamera or others (apt-cache search gphoto lists a few packages).

While there may not be software already written with a 'photocopy' button that scans and prints, a workable solution should be available.

* AM-Deadlink (finds dead links in Web Browser, IE/Netscape)

Never used it, and if it just changes the color of the link on a web page to say it's dead, I'm not sure I see the value in it. I don't find following a dead link to be that much of a loss of time. If it was from google, I hit back and click "cached". If AM-Deadlink crawls a web site and reports a list of broken links, there are many scripts written to do that.

* eMedia Guitar Method (guitar instruction software)

Not sure about guitar learning, but there are music programs for Linux.

I think I have replacements for the following, but I'm open to your
suggestions:
* MS-Outlook Appointment Calendar (probably available in OpenOffice)i

I'm not an evolution fan, but some like it as a drop-in replacement of Outlook

* AOL/ATTBI Remote access (dialup ISP for travel, needed on laptop ...
Earthlink?)

Unless you have to do some propriatary connection (old AOL), any dial up that uses PPP with standard username/passwords will configure and work just fine under Linux, even if they say "We don't support linux". If it works for Windows and Mac, it probably works for Linux (unless they invested in writing special connection software for both Windows and Mac). I heard AOL is releasing a netscape branded dialup that is 'bare bones'. That type of system (or any local ISP system) should be just fine.

Not to discourage your questions, but if you'd like to get to the meat of the answers to your questions, google around for "linux <the thing you want to do>" (or www.google.com/linux) and read a page or two of links on each topic.

--
Jacob