Unidentified subject!

Hi there. I got a problem with X server. i tried the apt-get install
x-window-sytem kde, and everything went ok. When i typed startx,
nothing came up apart from error messages. The startx command exist,
so i looked in the /var/log/XFree86.0.log for errors. I get the
following:
version 4.1.0.1
linux 2.4.20-8um i686 [ELF]
screen-default
monitor-generic
device-generic video card
input-generic keyboard

cannot open APM
modult ABI versions:
 XFree ANSI C emulation:0.1
 XFree video driver:0.4
 XFree XInput driver 0.2
 XFreeserver extension:0.1
 XFreefont renderer:0.2

loader running on linux

(II)ATI RADEON
(II)Primary device is PCI 01:00:0
(II)ATI: candidate "device" section "generic video
card"
(ww)ATI: PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 1:0:0 could not be detected
(ww)ATI: PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 1:0:0 could not be detected
(EE)No devices detected

fatal server error:  no screens found

i do have an ATI RADEON graphics card with 256MB DDR

Please help me as i am new to the area