Re: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:50:31 +0800, Brian Walker wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> The subject line is the response I get when I try to establish a link to
> the internet.
>
> Debian Woody, dual booting with XP. Self-built box. All was working well.
> I had not switched off the computer (I usually do, because the internal
> cooling was not coping with Hong Kong un-airconditioned temperatures,
[...]
> The ifconfig is OK - although Tx errors are present with nil arriving.
> ifup eth0 causes a long pause for thought, with the "SIOCSIFFLAG Driver or
> resource busy"  message.
>
> I am grateful for any ideas.
>
> Brian

I fear your NIC is damaged.

The message just says that a problem with that
device has been encountered. But ifconfig showing errors is a bad sign -
might be driver problems or hardware. If you did not change anything I
would guess it is a hardware problem. As Windows has problems with the
card, too, a hardware problem is quite sure.

If you can put the NIC in another PC, and another NIC in your PC.

Greetings
Andre