Re: debian on a mac?

On (15/10/03 18:01), Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 at 22:33 GMT, Clive Menzies penned:
> > It is worth reviewing the archive for debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org
>
> Speaking of which, http://www.debian.org/ports/ lists the motorola 68k
> as the second-most popular debian-port, then later down the list
> mentions the powerpc.  Both mention Macs.  Are all modern Macs
> powerpc, or do I need to look at the specs to know what I need?
Ron Johnson has already answered this.

> > You will find most of the information you're looking for.
> >
> > I'm dual booting a G4 (not TiBook) and it works well but I've still
> > not configured everything.  Ben Herrenschmidt builds bleeding edge
> > kernels to handle many of the Tibook idiosyncracies.  You might also
> > be interested to try OSX which is impressive although I did manage to
> > break it (don't ask ;)
>
> Don't ask??  Sure, bring up something like that and then forbid me from
> asking ...
It was to do with when I first installed OSX I didn't have a network and
was unfamiliar with the concept of users and configured the user with
not much thought.  Later after setting up a network (with Debian servers)
I found that the user schema required a change to the user identity in
OSX.  There is a GUI facility to change user permissions in OSX which is
extremely flakey and in attempting to change ownership
and permissions, I managed to make a huge horlicks of it.  It was
ultimately resolved by creating a root account on the system and using
chmod and chown. - you asked ;)

> Did you "not configure everything" as in you just haven't bothered, or
> as in it's a royal pain and it's not worth it?
The stuff I haven't got around to is non-essential (ie. for my work) and
because I have the option to boot into OSX it has slowed the process of
"getting my act together".  In summary, I am learning this stuff as I go
along and every piece of configuration constitutes a challenge/project
of some proportions (I have little experience of most of this stuff).
That said I boot into OSX very seldom these days.  So what remains to be
done is sound, compiling a new kernel to deal with extra memory, and
stuff like video, scanning etc.

HTH

Clive

--