Re: preloading modules, sarge netinst cd

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 01:37 pm, Eliot Stock wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a network card not supported by the sarge netinst CD, but
> would like to do a net install anyway.
> The documentation on the CD is the same as the install docs on
> debian.org. Section 10.4, Preloading Existing Modules, tells me to do
> this:
> Extract the kernel and modules for the flavor that you want to
> install with...
>      su
>      tar -zxvf
> /cdrom/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/bf2.4/drivers.tgz
>      tar -zxvf modules.tgz
>      less lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/modules.dep
> but there are no such files on my CD, presumably because these docs
> were written with the full install CDs in mind, not the netinst.
> I have a kernel image, source, and headers installed already that's
> the same as the one the net installer uses (2.4.22-1-386). Can't I
> just build my nic driver against these and put them on a floppy?
> Which files to I put on the floppy? Just nvnet.o? Is that all a
> 'kernel module' is, the .o file?
> Thanks,
> Eliot Stock.

I had this experience, tried the business card cd  and found a lack of
nic card drivers for my card. Tried the netinstall cd and the boot
kernel didn't have my nic card module either but there is a new kernel
on this cd that you can install that has a full compliment of modules.
Maybe this fits your issue.
- --
Greg Madden
Debian GNU/Linux