Re: Debian Font Guide for Newbies and the Confused

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 03:27:14AM +1000, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 07:47:50AM +0800, csj said
> > At Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:33:09 +1000,
> > Rob Weir wrote:
[snip]
> Yes, defoma aka "Debian Font Manager".  When you install a new font, it
> handles setting up symlinks and such so that you can just point X at
> /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType, and leave it alone.
> Without defoma, you'd have to point X at wherever fonts installed
> themselves, and update the various fonts.* files that live next to the
> fonts.

Well, shut my mouth.  I'd never grokked that about Defoma.  That's cool.

I've been patching my /etc/X11/Xftconfig as well as XF86Config-4
to manually point to /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera.
Your suggestion says to only update XF86Config-4.  Should I point
XftConfig to /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType as well?