Re: diffs between kernel-source-2.4.22 and source of kernel-image-2.4.22?

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 06:44:04PM +1000, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 05:37:58PM +0200, David Fokkema said
> > Hi group,
> >
> > Compiling my own kernel I ran into strange difficulties. I have a laptop
> > (asus L5800C) that's hit by the radeon driver bug resulting in black
> > screens with standard drivers, though I don't know if this is related...
> >
> > Installing kernel-image-2.4.22 I can boot with vga=834 resulting in a
> > nice 1400x1050 framebuffer display with the vesa driver. However,
> > compiling a fresh kernel from kernel-source-2.4.22 (even with the same
> > config) results in a black screen. I can use vga=normal, so I know it
> > works. I took the time to compile from the sources of
> > kernel-image-2.4.22 which builds all kinds of kernels and took a _long_
> > time. However, that one boots fine.
>
> You should install ccache :)

Wow! Thanks!

> > So, there must be some differences, right? I know that the sources of
> > kernel-image are patched during the build process while the sources from
> > kernel-source are already patched, but that should result in the same
> > sources being used. Please enlighten me...
>
> If you look at the build-dependency tree for kernel-image-2.4.22, you'll
> see it's actually built from kernel-source-2.4.22, anyway.

Yeah, that's what's bothering me...

> The only obvious difference I can think of is gcc versions.  It
> shouldn't matter, but maybe it's built with gcc 2.95 still?

Nope. I compiled both from kernel-source and from kernel-image with the
same compilers. It's very strange...

Thanks,
David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!