Re: Gnome 2 and window manager selection?

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 06:47:01PM -0400, stan wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 09:10:15PM -0500, Todd Pytel wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:00:23 -0400
> > stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
> >
> > > When I go into the Gnome configurator, and try to go to the windows
> > > section it gives me an error message about "window manager 'unkown'
> > > not being registred.
> > >
> > > What window manager should I have installed?
> >
> > Metacity is the semi-official window manager for GNOME 2. Check to see
> > if you've got that. Sawfish is also GNOME-compliant, but has some quirks
> > that bug me. If you don't mind compiling, you might try Openbox 3.
> > AFAIK, it's not in any apt repositories yet since it's still at Release
> > Candidate phase. But I've been running it and the "obconf" config tool
> > for the last week, and I'd say it's phenomenally better than the other
> > two.
>
> OK, I sed dselect to install Metacity. I already had Gnome-sawfish
> installed. However, I still can't figure out how to tell Gnome to use this
> window manager.
>
> What am I missing?

You could try:

antgel $ sudo update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
Password:

There are 2 alternatives which provide `x-window-manager'.

  Selection    Alternative
*+    1        /usr/bin/metacity
      2        /usr/bin/icewm

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:

However this didn't work for me until I did an apt-install gnome.  Not
sure what I was missing prior to that.