Re: Question about LaTeX...

Hi,

"Sridhar M.A." <mas@uomphysics.net> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:36:41PM +0200, JG wrote:
>    >
>    > umiguel@alunos.deis.isec.pt writes:
>    >
>    > > Hi,
>    > >
>    > > just a silly question about LaTeX:
>    > > How can I add a new (user) class to the path where the latex command
>    > > searchs? The problem is that I have several customised classes that I
>    > > use frequently and, whenever I want to create, e.g., a postscript I need
>    > > to copy my *.cls files to the compilation directory...
>    >
>    > Set the value of the TEXINPUTS environment variable
>    >
>    > $ export TEXPINPUTS=:something//:another//
>    > [under bash and friends]
>    >
>    > $ setenv TEXINPUTS :something//:another//
>    > [under csh and friends]
>    >
>    > see
>    >
>    > $ man tex
>    >
>    > and search for TEXINPUTS for a complete description.
>    >
>    > Hope this helps,
>    >
> After putting those files in there, don't forget to run texhash as root.

No. You don't need to run anything as root. These are user files. In
Debian you don't need to run texhash in this case. Example:

$ cat kk.tex
\documentclass{article2}
\begin{document}
kk
\end{document}
$ ls kk/*
kk/article2.cls
[article2.cls is just a copy of the standard article.cls]
$ unset TEXINPUTS
$ echo $TEXINPUTS

$ latex kk
This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.4.5)
[...]
! LaTeX Error: File `article2.cls' not found.
[...]
$ export TEXINPUTS=:kk//
$ latex kk
This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.4.5)
[...]
Output written on kk.dvi (1 page, 216 bytes).
Transcript written on kk.log.
$ ls
kk/  kk.aux  kk.dvi  kk.log  kk.tex

Hope this helps,

Jaume

--
Please answer to the group/list. Don't CC me.